Song of the Year: 2016

My 2016 in review: mathematic, demanding, and life-changing.

Mathematic? To describe a year? I think you all deserve to know what I mean. Well, when you take Principles of Microeconomics and Introduction to Statistics in the Spring semester, only to take Principles of Financial Accounting and Principles of Managerial Accounting in the Fall semester, you’ll get what I mean. I hadn’t taken math courses in more than 2 years! Let’s just say, I was beyond rusty. Fortunately, I survived and I’m here to tell my tale of redemption.
In addition to those four classes, I had 5 more required courses on my plate. Although the courses were online, they were practically 5x harder than the regular classes held at my college. The ‘free time’ that others thought I had was actually spent reading textbooks, studying, and completing assignments. My sleep habits were flipped, my eating habits were flipped, and I was on the brink of flipping out as well! I cried a lot; that was unlike me. The description of 2016 as demanding is appropriate in my case.
But among the challenges, there were hefty successes that changed the course of my life. I passed all 4 of the near impossible math courses as well as the 5 others. I got accepted into my dream school for my Bachelor’s degree (months later I’m still soaking that in). And I finally got my driver’s license just weeks before the year ended!
The one thing that tied 2016 together for me was music. With a dog that has separation anxiety and two working-class parents coming in and going out, my house isn’t the best to do homework or to study in. Just so I could get my work done, I would have to wake up and put in my headphones for the whole day to get things done. After reconnecting with BIRP! (aka Blaylock’s Indie Rock Playlist), a music outlet I used years ago to listen to new artists, I had cultivated a playlist that I could work efficiently to as well as study efficiently to. There were a few songs I could listen to 5-6 times in a row and not be tired of them.

2016 Song of the Year
One of these songs, “Nausea” by a duo named ALOHAHA, would get me through all of my highs and lows of 2016. First appearing on their February 2016 Playlist, I didn’t know at the time I’d be listening to it all through the year. At the end of the year, BIRP! curates a best of the year playlist. I was so proud to see “Nausea” on the list, it had definitely made it into the high ranks for me!
You can listen to it here on BIRP!’s website:
http://www.birp.fm/artist/Alohaha

I still listen to “Nausea” when I need to focus or relax. Do you like the song? What events shaped your 2016, and what song would you pick to represent your 2016?
Take care and keep in touch,
2










Comments

Most Read Posts

Subscribe